Ghosts of Amistad with Marcus Rediker
Thursday Apr 11 07:00 PM
Doris Duke Theatre
About the Film:
Directed by Tony Buba. USA. 2014. 56 min.
Ghosts of Amistad, directed by Tony Buba, is based on Marcus Rediker’s The Amistad Rebellion: An Atlantic Odyssey of Slavery and Freedom (Viking-Penguin, 2012). It chronicles a trip to Sierra Leone in 2013 to visit the home villages of the people who seized the slave schooner Amistad in 1839, to interview elders about local memory of the case, and to search for the long-lost ruins of Lomboko, the slave-trading factory where their cruel transatlantic voyage began. The film uses the knowledge of villagers, fishermen, and truck drivers to recover a lost history from below in the struggle against slavery. The American Historical Association awarded the John E. O'Connor Prize to Ghosts of Amistad as the best historical documentary of 2015.
Admission: Free with RSVP via the link above.
Join us for a post-screening discussion with Marcus Rediker.
Marcus Rediker is the Dan and Maggie Inouye Distinguished Chair of Democratic Ideals at the University of Hawai'i at Mānoa, Distinguished Professor of Atlantic History at the University of Pittsburgh, and Guest Curator at the J.M.W. Turner Gallery at Tate Britain. His histories from below have won many prizes and appeared in fifteen languages. His most recent book is The Fearless Benjamin Lay: The Quaker Dwarf who became the First Revolutionary Abolitionist (Beacon Press, 2017).
This event is made possible by Hawaii J20+ and The Dan and Maggie Inouye Distinguished Chair of Democratic Ideals.
- Surf Cinema Nugs 2019
- Thank You Mother
- Board Shorts
- Heavy Water
- Rising Tide with Zak Noyle
- Family Film Sunday: Johnny T…
- PAIGE + TROUBLE: The Lisa An…
- Coldwater Journal
- Time Well Spent
- Everything in Between + From…
- Transcending Waves | La Ola …
- The Endless Summer II–25th A…
- In Dancing Days of Dawn
- Beyond the Noise + EOS
- Gun Ho!
- Opening Night: The Shiny Shr…
- Just Friends (Gewoon Vrienden)
- APQFFA Spotlight Film: House…
- Women’s/Queer Shorts Showcase
- Fireflies (Luciernagas)
- Gay Chorus Deep South
- Wild (Sauvage)
- The Garden Left Behind
- Women’s Centerpiece Film: Vi…
- Men’s Centerpiece Film: Gian…
- Before You Know It
- Tell It to the Bees
- Deep in Vogue
- Closing Night: Papi Chulo
- APQFFA Shorts Showcase 2019
- Men’s Shorts Showcase
- An Almost Ordinary Summer (C…
- World Premiere/Festival Fina…