This Magnificent Cake
Sunday Mar 31 01:00 PM
Doris Duke Theatre
About the Film:
Directed by Marc James Roels & Emma de Swaef. 2018. 44 min. Dutch, French, Aka, and Malinke with English subtitles.
Fresh from Cannes, Toronto and Telluride comes a stop-motion film unlike any you've seen before. This mid-length feature from directing team Marc James Roels and Emma de Swaef offers a stunning surrealist vision and scathing critique of Belgian imperialism in the Congo. In the late 19th century, keen to compete with other European imperial powers on the continent, King Leopold II of Belgium proclaimed, “I do not want to miss a good chance of getting us a slice of this magnificent African cake.” The subsequent occupation of the Congo would come to attract a contingent of servants, merchants and miscellaneous bourgeois driven by everything from insatiable greed to existential fear. From the intimate stories of these characters—many of whom pass through a luxury hotel in the middle of the jungle—emerges a greater narrative concerning the imperialist mentality. In this surreal, darkly comic and brutal film, directors Marc James Roels and Emma de Swaef ultimately turn their critical gaze on the colonists themselves in a work of stunning, mysterious beauty.
The film also screens with the following short films:
The Burden (2017), Niki Lindroth von Bahr, 14 min., Swedish with English subtitles.
Oh Willy... (2012), Marc James Roels & Emma de Swaef, 17 min., No dialogue.
Admission: Free with RSVP via the link above.
Please note that these animated films are for an adult audience.
- Surf Cinema Nugs 2019
- Thank You Mother
- Board Shorts
- Heavy Water
- Rising Tide with Zak Noyle
- Family Film Sunday: Johnny T…
- PAIGE + TROUBLE: The Lisa An…
- Coldwater Journal
- Time Well Spent
- Everything in Between + From…
- Transcending Waves | La Ola …
- The Endless Summer II–25th A…
- In Dancing Days of Dawn
- Beyond the Noise + EOS
- Gun Ho!
- Opening Night: The Shiny Shr…
- Just Friends (Gewoon Vrienden)
- APQFFA Spotlight Film: House…
- Women’s/Queer Shorts Showcase
- Fireflies (Luciernagas)
- Gay Chorus Deep South
- Wild (Sauvage)
- The Garden Left Behind
- Women’s Centerpiece Film: Vi…
- Men’s Centerpiece Film: Gian…
- Before You Know It
- Tell It to the Bees
- Deep in Vogue
- Closing Night: Papi Chulo
- APQFFA Shorts Showcase 2019
- Men’s Shorts Showcase
- An Almost Ordinary Summer (C…
- World Premiere/Festival Fina…